Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stu Fields Stu Fields is offline

Default Semi On Topic: Heating my shop

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 11:58:07 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman
scrawled the following:

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 05:22:15 -0400, Wes wrote:

Maybe with the 4000# of metal in the room, the temperature swings won't
be too wide.

Right. With all that thermal mass, the room's thermal time constant
should be quite long.

With proper insulation, a 1,500W ceramic disc heater would be able to
provide and maintain warmth in most climes. It might take a while to
ramp up, but once warm, it'd stay toasty.

--
The blind are not good trailblazers.

-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook

I've got a 40' container color dark blue on the south side of my shop. By
10' am I can't put my hand on the inside wall and leave it there for long.
There ought to be a way to harness that heat and use it to at least warm my
40x48 shop. I know that the air inside the container gets above 120
quickly. Since we only get about 372 days/yr of sunshine.....Any ideas?
I've thought about recirculating the air but don't have any heat transfer
data on the time required to heat up the container air in a circulating
environment. Should be an excellent place for heating water also...