Posted to alt.home.repair

Default roof leak

On Oct 17, 1:07*am, RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 17, 12:46*am, coloradotrout wrote:

I must have a small roof leak in my 1.5 story, 2 dormer, roof.

There is a small darkening spot, about 6" in diameter, on our 1st
level bathroom. *It's about right at the point where the 1.5 story
dormer meets the roofline. *From that bedroom I looked out onto the
roof and see the shingles as they come up to the roof nailed at the
very top where the roof meets the dormer. *The top row of shingles are
nailed and the nails are exposed. *One nail in particular seems to
have broken through the shingle. *I'm thinking I need to start there
and somehow seal that nail. *How should I do that?

What else do I need to look for? * How should the roof shingles as
they meet the dormer walls be installed? *It just seems like that is a
leak waiting to happen with a wall running down to a roof where it
cannot *be properly capped. *Is there some sort of flashing there?

Flashing is an art form. *Slapping some roofing cement on what you're
describing is just as likely to trap water and make the leak worse.
If you posted some pictures of your house, not the generic house, and
the specific location where you are having a problem, you'd get more
constructive responses and advice.

Also consider any plumbing vents. Since it's over a bathroom, it
could be from a vent if there is one there. The rubber boots fail
over time. Why not climb into the attic during a rain and take a
look up there?