Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Semi On Topic: Heating my shop

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 00:58:23 -0500, "RogerN"
wrote:

I heated my shop with a torpedo heater with no thermostat, I had an old
thermostat in my misc. pile. I used a small 24VAC transformer and a relay
with 24VAC coil IIRC, line voltage went to the transformer and relay
contacts, transformer voltage went through thermostat to relay coil. Gave
me great temperature control of my torpedo heater, should work with a
programmable thermostat too. I made my entire assembly with a line cord to
plug into an outlet and a length of cord with receptacle to plug the heater
into.

RogerN

I did that too! I also added a catalytic screen on the heater to
mitigate those "kerosene farts" it produced when starting each time.

I now use a natural gas unit heater vented to outdoors.