Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Semi On Topic: Heating my shop

Don Foreman wrote:

The Grainger URL you cite displays a non-programmable stat.

My error.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...Thermostats%2C

That one goes for 78.90, which still has me scratching my head.

If you don't mind doing a bit of artificing, you could use a 24-volt
xfmr, a relay with 24-volt coil or a solid-state relay (about $25) and
one of many good choices of residential programmable stats.

This approach probably wouldn't save you any $ but it would probably
work noticably better. Line volt stats tend to have rather large
differentials as RoyJ observed. There are other reasons to avoid them
as well.

By the way, I was a scientist/engineer at Honeywell in a previous life

Too late to make changes now since I have it in hand.

I see on the small print at bottom of the box that it uses 15 minute heating cycles. I
assume (dangerous) that that means it will turn the internal contactor on / off once
during a 15 minute window to regulate heat. Likey they do that to maximise the contactors
life.

Maybe with the 4000# of metal in the room, the temperature swings won't be too wide.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller