Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default GFCI Troubleshooting

"RBM" wrote in message news:4ad6ffde$0$22526
stuff snipped
The Nec doesn't required dedicated circuit for a refrigerator

stuff snipped
The Nec requires ALL counter top and island receptacles to be gfci

protected

That's interesting and in line with what I thought to be true about
electrical requirements for my particular jurisdiction. Even though a
dedicated circuit is not required, I can certainly see the wisdom in putting
a "mission critical" device like a refrigerator on its own breaker so that
no other errant device can take it down.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to ask the local inspector what the county
wants in the way of GFCI's and dedicated circuits. He's the one that
matters most. I don't think it could hurt things to dedicate a line, but
what I really want to know now is whether there's any advantage to
protecting the refrigerator with a GFCI. It's close to the sink and it's
made at least partly of steel - it seems to be an "at risk" area. A lot
I've read about using GFCI's note that the newer units are far less likely
to nuisance trip than older models. Some also say that there are some
GFCI's designed to trip at a higher-than-normal current imbalance, but the
higher the trip level, the more of a shock gets through to pen closing the
circuit,

--
Bobby G.