Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sumsung monitor intermittent startup

wrote:

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 09:11:06 -0400, Al Moodie
wrote:

Hi,

Samsung 931B LCD Monitor

Monitor and computer are switched off overnight.
In the morning I switch on the monitor and computer
The monitor switch button glows blue
Display flickers on and off maybe 5 or six times then dies and monitor
switch light dies also
I turn the switch off then on again, and experience the same result
After I have gone through this procedure maybe 6 or 7 times the
display eventually stays on
No problems with display until the next morning when I have to repeat
the whole process again to get the display running.

Is this repairable. How do I open the case?

Al Moodie

Yes, it's repairable. These symptoms are typicaly caused by bad
capacitors in the power supply. The best way to fix it is by
replacing ALL of the capacitors in the power supply with high
temperature, low ESR caps. I prefer Panasonic FM and FC series, but
other manufacturers also have excellent parts. Digikey is a good
source if you are in the USA.

Opening the case varies by model. Usually you have to remove the
stand, remove any screws holding the back on, then CAREFULLY pry the
two parts apart. I prefer to start at the botton. The tool of choice
varies depending on who you talk to. Some prefer a putty knife,
others a credit card, a guitar pick, or even a thin bladed
screwdriver.

Sometimes a thumbnail is the best tool, becsue you can feel the
latches as you slide it along the seam.