Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Semi On Topic: Heating my shop

Wes wrote:

David Lesher wrote:

Wes writes:

I built a small room inside my garage that I could afford to heat electrically.

My needs require a programmable thermostat.

Since I'm using electric heat, I need a line voltage model. That changes one's choices.

No you don't....

There's this great gadget called a "relay".... It has a 24VAC coil, and
can switch 120 or 240VAC or even more.

Some are "solid state" - really triacs.

I'd like something that meets whatever rules my home insurance policy expects to see in my
dwelling.

You can buy an integrated HVAC relay / transformer combo that mounts in
place of a cover on a 4" square electrical box and provides screw
terminals on the outside for the 24VAC connections. This will certainly
meet all electrical codes for controlling resistance heaters up to the
rating of the relay.