Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Douglass Tim Douglass is offline

Default Almost OT - Desk chair restoration question

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 22:35:29 -0500, "ChairMan" wrote:

yes you can make them fit snugly and they have to, to work properly.
the taper has nothing to do with it
The holes have obviuosly wallered out to much and need to be filled and
redrilled.
You will not find a antique type caster that will hold up, most are for
decoration only.
For daily use, try these, The Regency
http://www.ou****ercatalogs.com/lg_d...aster/page/164
I've installed hundreds of these and have never experienced the problems
your describing

Aha! If you look at those pictures the "friction ring stem" is what I
want. All I have been able to get in the past is the "gripneck stem",
which has a tapered socket, so your hole with parallel sides has this
tapered socket in it where all the torque of the load is on the part
where the socket nips in to grab the top of the stem. There is no way
to support to top of that socket, so it deforms. The friction ring
stem has parallel sides and the socket is supported by the wood at the
top of the stem where the side load is greatest. I'm going to order
some of those and see how they work.

And yes, the holes have been re-drilled and filled every time I've
replaced the casters - usually with cross-grain hard maple dowels that
I've turned myself. The holes right now are a rather tight fit for the
3/8" cheap sockets, but I know they won't last. Those from Ou****er
look like they will.

Thanks for the tip!

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com