Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Enlarge a hole in studs

RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 15, 3:16 pm, Phisherman wrote:
Since this is not a piece of furniture, use a jigsaw to make the hole
larger.

Why do people think that because it won't be seen it's not important?
I'd say roughly 2/3s or more of the hacked holes in studs and joists
end up creating a stress concentration point and splitting the wood.
Drilled holes rarely do that unless they are drilled too near an edge/
end.

Well, there's roughing out and hacking...

_I_ think it isn't worth spending a lot of time on because it simply
isn't and a vertical non-loadbearing wet wall has so little bending
stress these imagined stress concentration points are not going to be
failure points.

A main, load-bearing beam some reason to care, this application, "not so
much". There are far better places to spend the amount of time MC was
talking about to fixup the problem. (Of course, if he had bothered to
measure the hole or test fit a piece after the first one, it would have
saved the whole problem from arising, but that's another story... )