Posted to rec.woodworking
diggerop diggerop is offline

Default Decision Made (Was Dovetail Jig opinions sought)

"Leon" wrote in message

$1300 delivered? Gulp, from the guy that buys Festool. I wonder if a
good $350 jig would do 98% of what you want to do. I wonder if the
attitional 2% is worthe the extra $950.
Seriousely for the ability to cut wider joints, a 24" jig does not limit
you to 24" joints. You can easily cut joints on a 24' panel and on
another panel for the remainder of the distance needed, and glue the 2
pieces together.
If you can see doing that, you might want to also consider a similar jig
to what you have chose but lots cheaper and apparently many more templades
for different designs.
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...nt_system.html

More food for thought.

Thanks for the thought Leon. I did come across a discussion in another forum
on the MLCS system, - didn't seem to be much enthusiasm for it. There are a
few cheaper similar types in retail outlets locally, but anything I've
looked at didn't inspire me. It seems you get what you pay for at that end
of the market.
I'm confident that what I have in mind to buy, will suit my purpose and will
last for many years.

My problem in being from down under, is that I have to be absolutely certain
anything I buy from overseas is bulletproof. I would rather pay whatever is
necessary to secure something I have total confidence in. (I'd happily
import an Akeda or Leigh if they suited my purpose.) Anything produced
locally suffers from high manufacturing and transport costs and small
market. (Australia has only 22 million people.) So Australia at retail level
is expensive. However, it's not all bad .......

I balance the above with the fact I have been able to source a lot of my
tools and materials from auctions for next to nothing. e.g. sliding
compound mitre saw - $35. I have seven metal handplanes, old Stanleys
mostly, from No. 8 to No. 4 - average cost $40. I haven't bought wood for
years, - about 5 years ago I picked up several tons of 10" x 2" pine planks,
plus a ton of Jarrah boards, - cost about $300 for the lot. Still got about
one and a half tons to be broken down. My workbench cost me $100 to build
about 9 years ago - all salvage materials, including the vise. One of my
makita routers, still in the box, came with a router table thrown in - $80
the lot. ....... swings and roundabouts. : )

Diggerop