Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default GFCI Troubleshooting

On Oct 15, 2:08*pm, bud-- wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 15, 2:18 am, "Robert Green" wrote:
I've had a GFCI outlet that powers a refrigerator and some kitchen and
basement outlets trip twice within the last year. *I've reset it after each
trip and it seems to go another six months before it trips again.

What's the best way to determine if this is just a random event or whether
the GFCI is pointing toward a potential shock hazard?

--
Bobby G.

This is slightly off-topic for this thread, but I've always considered
the test button on a GFCI somewhat of a conundrum.

Here's my logic:

They say to test a GFCI once a month. Why? To see if the GFCI is still
working, right?

OK, but all the tester knows is whether or not the GFCI was or was not
working at that particular point in time. It could go bad instantly
afterwards - in fact, that test could have been the thing that ruined
it. How would you know? All you could do is test it again, but then
all you would know is whether the GFCI was or was not working at that
particular point in time.

In other words, testing a GFCI gives you no assurance that the GFCI
will operate properly when required. Yes, a failed test will tell you
that it won't work if required, but a passed test won't tell you that
it will.

All medical tests (glaucoma, cholesterol, cancer, ...) are useless. They
don't tell you if you will have a problem tomorrow.

--
bud--- Hide quoted text -

"Useless" is your word, not mine, and given the examples you chose,
also wrong.

Similar to testing a GFCI, medical tests can certainly tell you if
something needs to be done *right now* - swap the known bad GFCI for a
hopefully good one, begin a medication regimen or diet change, etc.

In addition, certain medical tests can signal an upcoming problem. For
example, higher than normal glaucoma readings might signify a need
more frequent testing than a normal reading would. Higher than normal
cholesterol numbers might indicate the need for a change in diet or
even medication.

While a normal reading will certainly not mean that you will never get
sick, statistics show that if you have a normal reading and get tested
on a regular basis, problems can be usually be caught before they
become life (or sight) threatening.

However, a GFCI test doesn't have a "range". It's either going to pass
or fail. Failure tells you something useful...passing means nothing.
Failure tells you that you should change it right now…passing simply
means it probably would have worked if it was needed in the past.

That’s why I used the word conundrum, not useless.