Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default GFCI Troubleshooting

On Oct 15, 4:18*am, "Robert Green" wrote:
I've had a GFCI outlet that powers a refrigerator and some kitchen and
basement outlets trip twice within the last year. *I've reset it after each
trip and it seems to go another six months before it trips again.

What's the best way to determine if this is just a random event or whether
the GFCI is pointing toward a potential shock hazard?

--
Bobby G.

Suggestion? If you can wire the outlet into which the fridge is
plugged from the 'input' side of the GFCI rather than 'through' the
GFCI?
As others have said, GFCI not recommended for fridge or freezer. (Or
in fact many electric motor circuits).
BTW while the GFCI are designed to protect say a human from leakage
from a faulty appliance to ground, such as leaky electric lawn mower
or electric hedge trimmer etc. the name IS something of a misnomer.
The GFCI operates when there is an 'unbalance' between neutral and
live current. Older appliances or even new ones may have slight
leakage, but after all they are grounded and/or may have sufficient
unbalance as the motor starts to unbalance the two currents
momentarily.