Posted to alt.home.repair
Cliff Hartle[_2_] Cliff Hartle[_2_] is offline

Default Snake wire from wall to ceiling

I think you have to think outside of the box.

Can you go down and then up some where else like where it will be easier to
run parallel to the joints?

There's nothing saying you have to take the direct route.

"blueman" wrote in message
RicodJour writes:

F On Oct 14, 11:06 am, blueman wrote:
dpb writes:
blueman wrote:
I need to run a wire from a switch on the wall up the wall and across
the ceiling to a new overhead light. (Note that unfortunately, the
joists run perpendicular to the direction that I need to traverse the
ceiling)
Could anybody give me some detailed pointers ...

You may as well just cut an access strip 8-12" wide from the light
location to the wall to start and be done with it. It'll be simpler
to repair that uniform area w/ a couple of joints than having to patch
a zillion smaller holes. Once you've gotten access, getting around
the corner will be relatively simple.

Removing the access strip will be a PITA since the wall is
plaster/stucco over metal lathe (the wall is in a garage). Also, I
probably only need to bridge 2 or 3 joists so I was thinking that with
a flex bit I should only need a couple of holes.

The challenge that I worry about though is at the corner between wall
and celing since the joists are parallel to the wall so presumably
there is a joist sitting on top of the top plate.

I read somewhere that you can "notch" out a small area of the top
plate bridging the wall with the ceiling and run the wire across it. I
presume that you would need to cover the notch with a metal plate to
be safe (and code conformant).

Is this the best way or is there some way to drill a "diagonal" hole

Alternatively, use a surface-mount track or embed a track raceway just
below the depth of the surface and finish over it. If it's metal
raceway it'll be ok to hide it.

I would prefer to avoid conduit or track.

Alternative two if there's any access to alternate wall and around,
sometimes one can go the long way 'round lengthwise w/ the joists and
find another way that there is access to get to the switch wall
location rather than the direct route. That, of course, depends on
the layout details not observable from here.

The only other walls are exterior (it is a garage) which creates other
issues (e.g., insulation) plus it is truly a long way around.

How about a wireless switch?

Well the issue is more getting power to the light which I would need
to do regardless. The switch is already there by the source of power.
I just need to get power to the center of the ceiling to replace an
old wall mounted sconce which is in the way and dangerous since it
always gets hit by all the stuff moving in and out of the garage.