Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dovetail Jig opinions sought

romanf wrote:

On Oct 13, 11:54Â*pm, Mark & Juanita wrote:
Kevin wrote:
On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 23:24:06 +0800, "diggerop" toobusy@themoment
wrote:

I'm looking at purchasing a dovetailing jig. Â*I'm inclined toward Akeda
at present but would like to hear opinions on alternatives.
I'd be particularly interested in hearing of experiences with Woodrat
or Router Boss machines, both of which appear to be extremely
versatile.

The only thing I can say negative about the Akeda is the availability
of some things, at least at the moment. Â*You can only get them it at
thejigstore.com.

Just to pile on here, for those in the US, thejigstore.com is an offshore
business. Â*Check your credit card terms and conditions -- I wound up
getting hit with a $20 "currency conversion" charge on my Citibank
MasterCard when I ordered from them. Â*toolking.com in Colorado is also a
dealer, but may or may not have what you want in stock.

One other thing, the C kit from thejigstore was supposed to ship the
parts that were missing at a later date. Thus far, I haven't received
them.

I really like the Akeda, I just wish they had a broader distribution
system.

I have a worn out standard guide bushing. Â*Not
listed on the website to buy separately. Â*I'm using the oversize
bushing for the tails now which doesn't really affect the joint fit,
but still. Â*It's about time to get new 11 and 14 degree bits, the two
I use the most, but the 14 isn't available. Â*Whiteside does make Akeda
bits, but they are 1/4" shank instead of 8mm, which I suppose would be
fine for the 14 degree bit.

-Kevin

Rob Leatham

It sounds like the problem is with the Citibank Mastercard. I use
American Express in all my dealings with the jig store and have never
been charged such an outrageous fee for currency conversion. I don't
think it is fair to blast the jig store for something that Citibank is
doing to you.

That wasn't meant to blast the jig store but to warn people to make sure
that they know what could happen using their own cards. I have a bit of an
issue since their website also gives a Wisconsin location, so I do feel
they have a bit of culpability there also in not being straight up about
business with them being a foreign exchange.

I have been buying parts from both the jig store and tool king with no
issues. In an emergency, Whiteside makes both collars and router bits
that fit a standard PC base. Check them out if you need one and they
are out of stock at your current supplier.

Rob Leatham