Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Snake wire from wall to ceiling

On Oct 14, 6:51*pm, aemeijers wrote:
blueman wrote:
I need to run a wire from a switch on the wall up the wall and across
the ceiling to a new overhead light. (Note that unfortunately, the
joists run perpendicular to the direction that I need to traverse the ceiling)

Doing so presents the following two problems for me:
1. How do I make the right angle turn through the top plate and into
* *the ceiling joist bay?

2. How do I go through the joists as I traverse the ceiling from the
* *wall edge to the center light location?

Note I don't have the option of using an unfinished attic or basement
to help me. I am trying to avoid ripping up more plaster than I need to..

I plan on buying a long flexible 1/2" bit which I believe should at
least help me with #2, though I'm a bit short on the details of where
I drill the entry and exit holes and how I achieve the right bend and
angle to go through the middle of the joist.

However, I am a lot more stumped about how I make the right angle
transition from the wall bay into the ceiling joist bay.

Could anybody give me some detailed pointers and/or point me to any
online videos? (I tried googling but found only general suggestions
such as using a flex bit)

Thanks

Lower-impact alternate solution-
Remove the current sconce that is causing the problems. Go up in same
stud bay to about 18" from ceiling, and *install a focused spot like
they use in museums, to paint the center of the ceiling with light. Find
a style-appropriate spotlight at a specialty lighting dealer, or use a
modern light shielded from direct view by the shell of the old sconce,
installed below it. (making the rash assumption the style of the
existing sconce could be adapted for that) They have some rather tiny
halogen aimable spot cans now that put out an amazing amount of light.

Hey, just an idea. Hard to say without seeing the garage and the
existing light.

--
aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

This seems like a reasonable, easy, solution, and the old sconce
fixture can be replaced by a unit that does not stick out as far on
the wall so it doesn't get hit as often.