Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Contractor hit a wire while nailing up moulding in kitchen

On Oct 14, 6:01*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 "Roger Shoaf" wrote:
wrote in message

Just about every stud finder out there also detects live AC wires - no
reason a contractor should EVER hit an un-expected live wire.

There is a live wire there untill you prove there is not. PERIOD.
ASSuming there is not is both dangerous and foolhardy.

I disagree with this.

The contractor was putting up molding on the ceiling. *Any wires should be
in the middle of the plate approximately 2 1/4" from the face of the plaster
or wall board. *If the trim was 3/8", then you would have to be using a
pretty long nail to hit any wires that one might reasonably expect.

And we still don't know how long the nail was, do we???

That was one of the first questions asked, and there was no answer.

Lots of guys use 2 1/2 in ardox finish nails to install cove molding.
And we don't KNOW the wire was inside a 2X4. It may have been running
down the side of the stud, strapped on properly. With a power nailer,
if he missed the stud it could quite concievably puncture the wire.
Without a stud finder he has no idea if he's nailing into a stud or
not.

Right. Carpenters for hundreds of years had no idea how to locate a
stud. Sheesh.