Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default Snake wire from wall to ceiling

On Oct 14, 9:59*am, dpb wrote:
blueman wrote:

But my question is really more about how to get around the top plate
and joist at the wall/ceiling junction.

The only solution I have seen so far is to "notch" the top-plate (and
perhaps a tiny bit of the joist resting on the top plate) which then
get covered with a metal plate before plastering over.

I just want to make sure that this is the best/easiest/safest way for
doing what I am trying to do (assuming that I want the wire to be
concealed within the wall & ceiling cavities).

W/O actually seeing to tell if there's a trick to be used for a specific
situation, the answer is what you've already been told--make enough
access for the job--it's simpler and will look "more professional" in
the end to have the two seams patched than a whole bunch of 'em--and
you're going to have to drill all the joists anyway to get thru 'em
unless you do go under.

As for the corner, it's take your pick -- you can drill an access hole
large enough to fish from the switch location to catch the fish from the
ceiling and pull it through or notch -- it's your call as to what you
think is simpler. *There really isn't a whole lot to choose; imo
drilling the holes is generally easier than trying to cut a notch but
that's me; others like the other.

Excessively worrying about avoiding demolition is the sign of the
inexperienced/diy'er--the pro just goes ahead and does what's needed w/o
the agonizing and finishes the job at hand because he knows how to do
the finish. *The diy'er isn't comfortable w/ the plaster work or
whatever so tries to figure out ways that he thinks can avoid something
but rarely is that as successful as just biting the bullet.

imo, $0.02, etc., etc., ...

--

Excessively worrying about avoiding demolition is the sign of the

inexperienced/diy'er-

Amen on that! I used to fiddy f... around worrying about doing to
much damage / demo.

More but "thoughtful" demo (like back to a corner, an entire wall, mid-
stud, etc) is easier & faster to get the new work done AND restore
the entire system to working order than "selective" / piecemeal demo
method

Thats why for a bathroom or a kitchen (unless some cool vintage stuff
is being saved) its better to go all the way to studs (well, at least
on the plumbing & electrical walls) .

Sorry I didn;t address "how to get around the corner" of the top
plates & the joist at the wall (or at the plate)........ missed it.

I would drill up through the double top plate with ~7/8 bit & then a
intersecting hole at the center line of the joist.
Both of these holes are a snap to drill if you use the strip method of
access.
a pieced of romex can be poked / fished this way...install a nail
plate on the both top plates & you;re done.

cheers
Bob