Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Generator wiring options

Eleven outages? That's enough to really make you think about
alternatives. For a while, I had a marine battery on a float
charger. I still have the marine battery. But, the float
charger boiled the battery dry and killed it. Someday I may
trade it in, get another battery. The goal was to run a
power inverter, and from there to the furnace. So I could
quietly run heat for an hour or so, when the electric was
off. The inverter didn't have enough power, and after that I
got a different furnace.

Do you have several UPS at your place, to provide a bit of
run time for floor lamp, computer, that kind of thing?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Frank" wrote in message
-

My PowerBoss has 5,500 running watts and 7,350 peak. I
think tank is 7
gal but I've never run more than a tank in one day. Last
time I used it
was last week. I had a furnace check scheduled and power
went out 4
hours before furnace guy was to arrive, so I turned on
generator when he
called and said he was on his way. He had no problem
checking out
furnace and there was power to the furnace room light so he
could see
well. Power came back about 2 hours after he left.

It's unfortunate the degradation in our power grid. We live
in an area
with a lot of trees and power company does not trim enough.
After 11
outages one year lasting up to 3 days, I bought generator.