Posted to alt.home.repair
blueman blueman is offline

Default Snake wire from wall to ceiling

dpb writes:
blueman wrote:

But my question is really more about how to get around the top plate
and joist at the wall/ceiling junction.

The only solution I have seen so far is to "notch" the top-plate (and
perhaps a tiny bit of the joist resting on the top plate) which then
get covered with a metal plate before plastering over.

I just want to make sure that this is the best/easiest/safest way for
doing what I am trying to do (assuming that I want the wire to be
concealed within the wall & ceiling cavities).

W/O actually seeing to tell if there's a trick to be used for a
specific situation, the answer is what you've already been told--make
enough access for the job--it's simpler and will look "more
professional" in the end to have the two seams patched than a whole
bunch of 'em--and you're going to have to drill all the joists anyway
to get thru 'em unless you do go under.

As for the corner, it's take your pick -- you can drill an access hole
large enough to fish from the switch location to catch the fish from
the ceiling and pull it through or notch -- it's your call as to what
you think is simpler. There really isn't a whole lot to choose; imo
drilling the holes is generally easier than trying to cut a notch but
that's me; others like the other.

This is what I wanted to know.
I didn't want to go around notching or drilling only to find out a few
days later that I violated a key code item or created structural
integrity issues.

Excessively worrying about avoiding demolition is the sign of the
inexperienced/diy'er--the pro just goes ahead and does what's needed
w/o the agonizing and finishes the job at hand because he knows how to
do the finish. The diy'er isn't comfortable w/ the plaster work or
whatever so tries to figure out ways that he thinks can avoid
something but rarely is that as successful as just biting the bullet.

imo, $0.02, etc., etc., ...

You are partly right - but I am pretty experienced at least relative
to my peers though maybe not relative to all the experts here.
However, I do like to learn and do things right -- and I hate when I
do something impulsively only to find out a little later that there
was an easier/better way to do it -- or even worse to find out that my
solution is unsafe or won't last requiring rework.

I believe in measuring several times before cutting... because I have
been burned many times when I rush to cut first...