Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Enlarge a hole in studs

MiamiCuse wrote:
I have a series of 2x6 studs that I have drilled two inches holes to
pass PVC pipes across. However I did not realize a 2" hole saw does
not make a hole large enough for a 2" pipe because the 2" is nominal
and not outer diameter.

Now I need to enlarge the hole by about 1/2". My hole saw is not deep
enough to cut a 2x, so previously I cut from both ends and made the
cut. Now that the middle is hollow how can I make a 2.5" hole from a
2" hole?
One solution I think that may work, is to find another piece of 2x
and cut a 2" hole, and use the circular wood plug from the cut and
insert that into the 2" hole, and use that to make the 2.5" hole. May be
there is a better way?

Not so neat hole, use the sawzall.

Neat hole, router (if room)...a 1/2" bit with 1/4 shank bit can do it by
extending the cutter partially through the hole so you can use the shank to
guide on the existing hole; after doing that, use a 1/4" cutter from the
opposite side (or bottom bearing flush trim bit from the same side) and
guide the shank on the enlarged portion of the hole to trim the rest of the
hole to size.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...