Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Generator wiring options

Caesar Romano wrote:
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 08:59:28 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote Re Generator wiring

In theory, a breaker trips on the generator. How fast? Well,
depends if it's a Federal Pacific Electric breaker on the
generator.

Ball park? 1sec?, 1min?, 1hour?

And before the breaker on the generator trips, the 5kW gen is trying
to feed several hundred kW on the grid. ISTM that the gen would stop
dead even if the gen breaker didn't pop.

Thats your cherry picked scenario. What about a typical place where
someone would have a generator such as my friend who lives in the woods
and the next customer is a half mile down the road. If the primary
should fall somewhere after the customer next to him and he were to do a
half ass connection of his generator and backfeed the power line the
transformer serving his house will step it up to a lethal 7.2 kv and
keep it energized.

Moral of the story. You can't possibly foresee every condition. Thats
why we develop methods such as interlocking and isolation.