Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Enlarge a hole in studs

"aemeijers" wrote in message
dpb wrote:
MiamiCuse wrote:
I have a series of 2x6 studs that I have drilled two inches holes to
pass PVC pipes across. However I did not realize a 2" hole saw does not
make a hole large enough for a 2" pipe because the 2" is nominal and not
outer diameter.

Now I need to enlarge the hole by about 1/2". My hole saw is not deep
enough to cut a 2x, so previously I cut from both ends and made the cut.
Now that the middle is hollow how can I make a 2.5" hole from a 2" hole?

One solution I think that may work, is to find another piece of 2x and
cut a 2" hole, and use the circular wood plug from the cut and insert
that into the 2" hole, and use that to make the 2.5" hole. May be there
is a better way?

I'd probably just hog out enough w/ the sawzall to get 'em thru and go
on.

--

And if the wall is load-bearing, even slightly (like if shelves will be
hung off it), I'd add blocking and maybe even a layer of plywood under the

--
aem sends...

It is not load bearing but I will reinforce it anyways.