Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Generator wiring options

George wrote:
Agreed. And if it's crucial to them, they might consider protecting
their infrastructure. This same power company puts fences around
their substations and seals on their meters and signs that say
"Don't dig here."

They do. Thats why there are specific requirements about interlocking
which are enforced by electrical codes and standard practice. There
really is no way to justify your really bizarre thinking about
disregard for human life no matter how hard you try.

Bah! Neither the electrical code nor standard practice have any enforcement
mechanism. They're like the Ten Commandments: there is no penalty attached
for violation.

And just what is my bizarre thinking? That power companies should provide
interlocks to their customers that have generators? The 'phone company used
to provide interference suppression devices for customer-owned telephones,
ostensibly to protect their circuits from non-conforming equipment. Many
water companies provide backflow preventers to keep their product pure.

The power company already installs lightning arrestors, reclosures, and
ground wires on almost every pole - again to protect their equipment.

It's the concept I'm arguing.

Tell you what's really bizar your concluding that I have no regard for
human life. You didn't find that in my post. In fact, just the opposite. I
suggest that if the power company DID provide interlock devices, the chance
for injury would be lessened.