Posted to alt.home.repair
theedudenator theedudenator is offline

Default Options to finish wall and ceiling in garage

I do not have "living" space in the garage.
It is a walk-up storage area.
A glorifed attic.

So do I still need 5/8's for code?

On Oct 13, 2:41*pm, "benick" wrote:
"theedudenator" wrote in message

Why is 5/8" called out on the ceilings?
I already have wood strips every 16" in both directions.
I was not planning on removing the ceiling, just drywalling over the
existing.

Unless there is a frequently used shower you don't "need " MR sheetrock
in a
bathroom...Code may say otherwise however...The only place you need 5/8
Type
X sheetrock is the ceiling of the garage and the wall between the house
and
garage...The rest can be half inch...Cheaper and MUCH easier to handle
and
install...LOL...Good luck...

Because you have living space over the garage the ceiling in the garage *has
to be 5/8 Type X Fire Code Sheetrock for fire protection for the living
space above...Same goes for the wall between the garage and house IF
attached for the same reasons...Both your insurance company and Fire Code
requires it.......No ifs , ands or buts....