Posted to alt.home.repair
Alan W Alan W is offline

Default OT ? Foul odor emanating from my car air conditioner

On 10/13/2009 12:16 PM, Eric wrote:

"Walter R." wrote in message ...
This may not really be OT in AHR, after all, my car is parked in my garage, part of my home. Maybe
this is stretching it? :-). I don't know where else to ask.

I drive a 1993 Chevy Lumina with 100,000 miles. Runs better than new.

Lately, when I turn on my air blower in any mode, such as heating, air conditioning, vent, it
produces a blast of foul smelling air. After a minute, the bad smell disappears.

Googling for this misbehavior points to mold produced by stagnant water in the a/c evaporator.

I have tried disinfectant spray in the air-intake vent but now the car smells of perfumed dirty
socks.

Does anyone know of a simple way to get rid of this stink without tearing the car apart?? Seems to
be a common problem and thus of common interest.

Thanks, and my apologies.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

As others have said, step #1 is to find and clear the evaporator drain.

Step #2 is something called "Frigi-fresh" spray... designed to kill the nasties growing in there,
and it actually works! Google for where to buy it, and follow the directions on the can for use.

Eric Law

I remember that nasty smell in an old car I had many years ago. The
solution that worked for me was to turn off the A/C, but leave the
blower fan running in vent mode, a couple of minutes before turning off
the car. That seemed to dry out the evaporator enough so the mold
wouldn't grow while the car sat there.

I got in the habit of doing that a couple of blocks away from wherever I
was going.

- Alan