Posted to alt.home.repair
mike mike is offline

Default OT ? Foul odor emanating from my car air conditioner

On Oct 9, 5:28*pm, "Walter R." wrote:
This may not really be OT in AHR, after all, my car is parked in my garage,
part of my home. Maybe this is stretching it? :-). I don't know where else
to ask.

I drive a 1993 Chevy Lumina with 100,000 miles. Runs better than new.

Lately, when I turn on my air blower in any mode, such as heating, air
conditioning, vent, it produces a blast of foul smelling air. After a
minute, the bad smell disappears.

Googling for this misbehavior points to mold produced by stagnant water in
the a/c evaporator.

I have tried disinfectant spray in the air-intake vent but now the car
smells of perfumed dirty socks.

Does anyone know of a simple way to get rid of this stink without tearing
the car apart?? Seems to be a common problem and thus of common interest.

Thanks, and my apologies.

--
Walterwww.rationality.net
-

What "disinfectant" spray did you use? Try a mild solution of fresh
bleach water (bleach has an expiration date). Spray that into the
inlets (should be near wiper blades) on various settings with fan on
full.

Report back.