Posted to alt.home.repair
Master Betty Master Betty is offline

Default Contractor hit a wire while nailing up moulding in kitchen

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
On Oct 12, 10:33 pm, "Shaffer" wrote:
Had a guy come in to help put up wood moulding in the kitchen. Must have
hit a wire becaue it blew a breaker.
He pulled the nail out (small nail) and hammered it in elsewhere. Flipped
the breaker back on. Said don't worry about it.

Now I lie awake at night fearing its a fire hazard.

Is it?

What the contractor should have done is stop work and have you call in
an electrician to see what was going on. It is not his fault the wire
was there. You would be stuck with the electricians bill and delays
caused to carpenter unless you can find someone else to blame it on.
If your house burns down on account of it he is still not responsible
because he is not an electrician and he let you know about the problem
and now it is documented that you were aware and concerned but did
nothing so far.

Jimmie. .

I "think"....but could be completely wrong....When the contractor said
"Don't worry about it." he left himself open to potential liability.

As far a documented....He didn't say anything about documentation....unless
you're talking about this.

Regardless, if it were me, I'd find another contractor.