Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default Contractor hit a wire while nailing up moulding in kitchen

wrote in message
On Oct 13, 10:42 am, "SteveB" wrote:
"Shaffer" wrote in message

Had a guy come in to help put up wood moulding in the kitchen. Must have
hit a wire becaue it blew a breaker.
He pulled the nail out (small nail) and hammered it in elsewhere.
Flipped
the breaker back on. Said don't worry about it.

Now I lie awake at night fearing its a fire hazard.

Is it?

It's your life, what do you think? If it was me, I'd have a small section
removed and be 100% sure. And I'd call the contractor back and ask if he
would do it. He obviously isn't very good, or he would have fixed his own
mistake already.

Steve

As others have said, I don't see in any way that the contractor is
responsible to fix his "mistake". What exactly is the mistake he is
supposed to have made? Unless he used an extaordinarily long nail,
he isn't liable for wiring that was run too close to the surface
without a plate to protect it.

He clearly should have told the homeowner that it should be inspected
and fixed. But that is the homeowner's problem and expense. Plus,
last time I checked, a carpenter is licensed to do electrical work.

Who said anything about a "contractor" ???..The OP said he had "a guy come
over to help put up some moulding." Hardly sounds like a contractor..IMHO...
If the OP feels it should be checked he should do it or call an
electrician....I'm gonna have a "guy" (my dad) come over and help me reframe
3 window openings and install new windows...If something goes wrong , I
should hold him accountable ?? LOL.....