Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Contractor hit a wire while nailing up moulding in kitchen

On Oct 13, 8:43*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
If it shorts out again, it should blow the breaker again.
Me, I'd want to take the area apart, and separate, and tape
the wires. But, that's just me. From where I sit, it appears
a very low risk of further problems.

The nail could have partially severed one of the conductors. In that
happened, he now could have 18 gauge wire instead of 12. Put enough
load on it and it gets hot, melts, arcs and if something flamable is
nearby, which isn't that unusual in an old house, he could have a
fire.

This does not constitute legal or contractor advise, and I
accept no liability for your decision.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Shaffer" wrote in message

Had a guy come in to help put up wood moulding in the
kitchen. *Must have
hit a wire becaue it blew a breaker.
He pulled the nail out (small nail) and hammered it in
elsewhere. *Flipped
the breaker back on. *Said don't worry about it.

Now I lie awake at night fearing its a fire hazard.

Is it?