Posted to alt.home.repair
Master Betty Master Betty is offline

Default Contractor hit a wire while nailing up moulding in kitchen

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
short = connection that's not supposed to be connected
Example: The nail caused a short betwen the hot and neutral.

open = connection that's supposed be there, but isn't.
Example: The nail broke the wire, and now the wire is open.

Was your computer fried from an open neutral? So the power
was going from black to black, instead of returning through
the open neutral wire?

Don't remember but as I recall I screwed in too deep and got the short on
the drill I was using. I'm assuming 'short' because it sparked. It didn't
just die. I backed the screw out and thought it would be ok. Then I plugged
in my computer and got a spark enough to fry the board. Man did that suck.
But being a musician I figured I was lucky it was my computer.

When I opened up the wall there was a pretty good sized black spot on the
wire. Something caused it to fry the computer/printer ~ ground or neutral
caused it to short. I assume. Maybe you can dx from my description.

Was an easy but expensive. I just opened up a small hole and installed a
control box where it shorted. I actually did it on another spot in the
ceiling too.