Posted to alt.home.repair
Shaffer Shaffer is offline

Default Contractor hit a wire while nailing up moulding in kitchen

Thanks guys.

He was using a nail gun. The moulding was top of wall against the ceiling.
1920's house. No dry wall in rest of house, so I doubt any in kitchen.
This was relayed to me by wifey. I was at work.
What's wiring doing up there anyways?

"Red Green" wrote in message
"Shaffer" wrote in
:

Had a guy come in to help put up wood moulding in the kitchen. Must
have hit a wire becaue it blew a breaker.
He pulled the nail out (small nail) and hammered it in elsewhere.
Flipped the breaker back on. Said don't worry about it.

Now I lie awake at night fearing its a fire hazard.

Is it?

My first thought is why did he hit it with a small nail? When you say
small you mean short? Finish nails from a nail gun are small as in narrow
but can be 2.5" long.

In theory, wires should be running through the middle of studs 1.75"
back. That + 1/2" drywall is 2.25. Then add in molding thickness.

Wiring that is run too close to edge of stud should have a metal plate.
But that does nothing if the wiring is close to the inside of the drywall
between the studs.

Where did it happen? In the field of a wall, top near ceiling, near
floor?