Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Generator wiring options

HeyBub wrote:
Jordan wrote:
I am picking up a 5000w cont. / 6500w surge generator which should be
more than enough for my needs. I want to keep the refrigerator, 240v
water pump, the oil boiler circualtors, and a few lights at at time
running. Practically the whole house has the CF lights so my lighting
is about 1/4 normal. My max surge is 4000w and running is 2400w.

My home's 100A power panel is spread out pretty well where each room
has its own 15A breaker which makes my transfer switch wiring a
problem. Most of the switches seem to come with one 240 breaker (for
my well) and 4 - 15A circuits (1 for Kitchen for fridge and 1 for
heating). This leaves 2 rooms for lighting which is the most
miniscule part of my needs.

Rather than wiring up individual circuits is it possible to get a
transfer switch that transfers the entire power to the generator
line?

Short answer - make your own transfer switch:

Add a dual 30Amp breaker to the panel. Feed the generator to this breaker
via a 240 volt male outlet (inlet?).

This special breaker should be OFF when power is being supplied by the
mains. To enable the generator, turn OFF the main breaker, turn ON this
special breaker, connect the generator.

In sum, when the power goes out:
* Connect the generator
* Flip two switches (main to OFF, special to ON)
* Start generator

When the power resumes:
* Flip special to OFF, main to ON
* Disconnect generator

You're good to go.

Here we freaking go again. Has it been a month already?
--
aem sends...