Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Resistors anyone?

In article ,
(Andrew Gabriel) writes:

Nowadays, all the resistors I buy seem to be 2%, which is the E96 series.

Oops, E48 series.
(E96 series is 1%).

However, most suppliers still supply only E24 values, albeit still at 2%.
This means the are large gaps between valid values of 2% resistors in
the E24 series (not worked it out, but if you take random values, I
suspect somewhere around 75% of them will be invalid E24 2% resistors).

However, resistors aren't just crude carbon rods anymore. They are made
to have the required values, and can be laser tuned during manufacture.
I suspect if you bought a bag (or bandolier) of 100x 5%, you'd be more
likely to find they all +3.55%, or some such.

--
Andrew Gabriel