Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Generator wiring options

Jordan wrote:

I am picking up a 5000w cont. / 6500w surge generator which should be
more than enough for my needs. I want to keep the refrigerator, 240v
water pump, the oil boiler circualtors, and a few lights at at time
running. Practically the whole house has the CF lights so my lighting
is about 1/4 normal. My max surge is 4000w and running is 2400w.

4000w surge? Do you have a special no-surge pump? [and don't
forget the defrost cycle on your frig and freezer] I don't have a
pump and kicked off my 5500w generator last winter. [daddy forgot
and used the microwave] But it did run the frig, freezer, a bunch
of lights & the furnace.

My home's 100A power panel is spread out pretty well where each room
has its own 15A breaker which makes my transfer switch wiring a
problem. Most of the switches seem to come with one 240 breaker (for
my well) and 4 - 15A circuits (1 for Kitchen for fridge and 1 for
heating). This leaves 2 rooms for lighting which is the most
miniscule part of my needs.

Here are some 8, 10, & 12 Gen-tran transfer switches-
http://www.apelectric.com/Manual-Tra...ches-s/128.htm

Rather than wiring up individual circuits is it possible to get a
transfer switch that transfers the entire power to the generator
line?

I imagine-- BTW- If you're hiring an electrician for this you might
want to ask him about putting a 150 or 200amp service panel in.
Probably not a lot more when he's right there. My insurance
company was trying to get me to upgrade my 150 a few years back.

Jim