Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Options to finish wall and ceiling in garage

theedudenator wrote:
I have a 2-1/2 car garage built in the 1940's
It is all brick and heavy wood, insulation and paneling.
The attic is a walk-in type and is also insulated.

The wiring is also 1940's...

This winter I plan on starting from scratch on the wiring, and rip out
the paneling.

I think due to the location and build of the garage it is prone to
sweating in the spring and summer.
I will add some ventilation and a heater (working on now)

I am a bit leary of drywall due to the moisture. Any other cost
effective options to finish the ceiling and walls after I am done with
the wiring?

Thanks

If the paneling is in basically good shape and not horrific to look at,
I'd be inclined to disconnect the existing wiring, and abandon it in
place, and rewire with conduit on the surface. Cover the old boxes with
blank plates or the new boxes. Much easier to modify down the road, if
you or the next owner want to use the garage as a shop. It's a garage,
after all. Exposed wiring is not at all out of place. Being a garage,
there are likely to be all sorts of things living in those walls you
would rather not know about.

What sort of paneling is it anyway?1940s would likely have been T&G. If
it is the thin stuff that was popular in the 50s and 60s, no loss, but
T&G is about the best garage wall you can have.

--
aem sends...