Posted to alt.home.repair
fftt fftt is offline

Default OT ? Foul odor emanating from my car air conditioner

On Oct 10, 12:22*pm, "Walter R." wrote:
From all your comments, it looks like the evaporator drain pipe is the
culprit.

Trouble is I cannot find the darned pipe, for love or money. It does not
even show up on the car manual.

Any clues anyone can share for finding the drain pipe?

Thanks, again

--
Walterwww.rationality.net
-"Walter R." wrote in message

This may not really be OT in AHR, after all, my car is parked in my
garage, part of my home. Maybe this is stretching it? :-). I don't know
where else to ask.

I drive a 1993 Chevy Lumina with 100,000 miles. Runs better than new.

Lately, when I turn on my air blower in any mode, such as heating, air
conditioning, vent, it produces a blast of foul smelling air. After a
minute, the bad smell disappears.

Googling for this misbehavior points to mold produced by stagnant water in
the a/c evaporator.

I have tried disinfectant spray in the air-intake vent but now the car
smells of perfumed dirty socks.

Does anyone know of a simple way to get rid of this stink without tearing
the car apart?? Seems to be a common problem and thus of common interest.