Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee B Lee B is offline

Default Smoke detectors for the elderly

Robert Green wrote:
A followup to this thread about low frequency sounders in smoke alarms and
this unit:

http://www.firstalert.com/carbon_mon...tem.php?pid=24

One problem I've noticed with the unit I've put in the basement is that it
occasionally interprets the turning on of the fluorescent lights as an IR
pulse that you would send to self-test the unit remotely. Not a big
problem, and one rectified by placing it so that the worklights don't shine
on it directly, but I'd thought I'd mention it. On the plus side, the unit
is loud enough that we can hear it at night in the bedroom upstairs from the
floor below.

--
Bobby G.

Just wanted to say I appreciate the follow-ups (so many times I follow
an interesting thread that just dies off and I wonder what happened). My
parents are gone, but I've told several people about this concern and
potential solutions. Strange, but I know that as people age they don't
hear higher frequencies as well, and I knew (when I thought about it)
that the smoke alarms are pretty high pitched, but I never put together
that older people might not hear the smoke alarm.

(Me, I think I have all modes covered - I have two herding type dogs
that bark at whatever they think is important which includes things like
telephones and doorbells, and of course falling leaves. And when they
bark they woof and they jump on and off the bed. So I figure I have high
pitched, low pitched and excessive vibrations... not to mention a cold
nose in my face if something goes off when I'm sleeping! Of course, I do
get false alarms during thunder storms).