Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Rockwell planer, any comments on this beast 13x6

Ignoramus540 wrote:

Guys, I want to say right away that a crack in the table looks NOTHING
like a typical usual crack. I will try to take better picture today (I
finished putting it together, outdoors, past midnight). Any guessing
would likely be off base, without seeing the particular defect.

Once I clarify my own understanding of what broke, and take pictures,
we could make better guesses.

I had presumed from your initial post one of the tables was broken
significantly....I really wasn't intending to try to guess what had
happened other than to put the kibosh on the other poster's idea that a
knife could somehow do such a thing to a chunk of cast iron the mass of
this puppy...

Which piece does have the crack, the rear/front or middle section of the
table?

While I'm writing, my earlier posting was partially in error; I wasn't
thinking of how there are the three separate pieces. I haven't done
much woodworking to use it for a while but I do need to get back so I'll
go take a look at the guy sometime over the next couple of days and
refresh my memory on the assembly/disassembly and order thereof. If
knew which piece in particular you're after replacing, that'd help...

OBTW, if it's been sitting for quite a long time, double check the gear
case for oil level before running it any length of time--it's a chain
drive in there so it won't hurt it for a short period test run but do
want to make sure it's got lube before actual use "in anger"...