Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_3_] Snag[_3_] is offline

Default Rockwell planer, any comments on this beast 13x6

Roger Shoaf wrote:
"Ignoramus19678" wrote in
message ...
This is a Rockwell 13x6 planer. The motor is 3 HP Baldor single
phase.

When I bought it for $20, it was in parts. When I agreed to buy it, I
did not even realize that it was a planer. At first, I thought I was
buying a pile of worthless metal parts plus a 3 HP single phase
motor.

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...3-by-6-Planer/

I would like some comments, specifically perhaps any planer-related
warnings and things to double check before first power up.

The reason why it was a pile of parts and not a working planer, is
that the cast iron table is cracked. However, the parts included a
replacement table, still in shipping plywood. They set this planer
aside when table broke, bought the replacement table, and never got
around to replacing it, so it sat like this for years.

So, my second question is, how hard is it to replace the table on
those things, does it require a deep disassembly or not.

I do believe that I reassembled it carefully and that all belts are
properly engaging (the slow feed, variable speed belt and the fast
belt that drives planer knife).

thanks

First let me be the first to say YOU SUCK!

That said, you might want to check out rec.woodworking for planer
specific advice. One thing I can tell you is to check out some tool
and die makers in your area to sharpen your blades as a matched set.
This will be a whole lot cheaper then tossing them in favor of
replacements and they will be dead nuts on.

I think the procedure is to use an indicator to make sure the blades
are set properly, but I have never done it.

--

__
Roger Shoaf

Check the yeller pages for a saw sharpening service , they usually do (or
know somebody) planer blades too . There are devices that use magnets to
hold the blades in position as you tighten the clamp bolts , HF has one IIRC
.. Be careful when re-installing the blades , if they're not just right the
feed rollers can't properly pull the stock thru . Best way is to set the
guide before pulling the blades ...

--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"