Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
jloomis jloomis is offline

Default Personal bedroom project

Quite beautiful pieces of furniture. Lots of fine cutting.....

Nice work.....
john

"Leon" wrote in message
I have decided to redo all of our bedroom furniture and my wife and I
decided to go with the Arts & Crafts look. I got the design idea from a
bed I saw at an Amish furniture store and basically designed the furniture
around that bed design. I will eventually be building the bed and adding
drawers on the bottom and building a larger taller dresser. The tower
cabinets pictured will have a light bridge of some sort added.

The project is and will be built with mostly quarter sawn oak and panels
and cherry for high lights on the doors and drawer handles. So far only
the cabinet doors have had a finish applied using Lawrence McFadden gel
varnish, 3 coats. And in the pictures the doors are simly setting in
place, they have not yet been attached.

I designed the entire project on Sketchup and utilized Cutlist 4.0 to
gather component information about size and material and then imported
that data into Cutlist Plus 2009. The merge of information was flawless
and took seconds to complete with out error.

The smaller doors are composed of 25 separate pieces of oak and cherry for
each, the upper larger doors are composed of 15 pieces of cherry and oak
for each. Each of the 6 drawers have/ will have 12 pieces of oak and
cherry and BB panels for the container part.. Outer side panels of the
towers have 15 separate pieces and the inner side panels have 12 separate
pieces. Face frames 8 pieces each, back panels 9 pieces. Then there were
countless Domino loose tennons used on the face frame, back panel, and the
,4 on each tower, fixed shelves that hold it all together. Each fixed
shelf has 8 Domino tennons, so in the shelves alone on both towers they
had 64 Domino tennons that had to align perfectly in each of their
respective locations. The 128 mortises for these tennons were all cut
prior to assembly of the side, front and back panels. Alignment was
critical when assembling the tower panels so that the fixed shelves would
later mate properly. Frankly I was surprised that it all went together as
planned. I had contingency plans for eliminating some tennons if
necessary.

Questions?