Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Personal bedroom project

I have decided to redo all of our bedroom furniture and my wife and I
decided to go with the Arts & Crafts look. I got the design idea from a bed
I saw at an Amish furniture store and basically designed the furniture
around that bed design. I will eventually be building the bed and adding
drawers on the bottom and building a larger taller dresser. The tower
cabinets pictured will have a light bridge of some sort added.

The project is and will be built with mostly quarter sawn oak and panels and
cherry for high lights on the doors and drawer handles. So far only the
cabinet doors have had a finish applied using Lawrence McFadden gel varnish,
3 coats. And in the pictures the doors are simly setting in place, they
have not yet been attached.

I designed the entire project on Sketchup and utilized Cutlist 4.0 to gather
component information about size and material and then imported that data
into Cutlist Plus 2009. The merge of information was flawless and took
seconds to complete with out error.

The smaller doors are composed of 25 separate pieces of oak and cherry for
each, the upper larger doors are composed of 15 pieces of cherry and oak for
each. Each of the 6 drawers have/ will have 12 pieces of oak and cherry and
BB panels for the container part.. Outer side panels of the towers have 15
separate pieces and the inner side panels have 12 separate pieces. Face
frames 8 pieces each, back panels 9 pieces. Then there were countless
Domino loose tennons used on the face frame, back panel, and the ,4 on each
tower, fixed shelves that hold it all together. Each fixed shelf has 8
Domino tennons, so in the shelves alone on both towers they had 64 Domino
tennons that had to align perfectly in each of their respective locations.
The 128 mortises for these tennons were all cut prior to assembly of the
side, front and back panels. Alignment was critical when assembling the
tower panels so that the fixed shelves would later mate properly. Frankly I
was surprised that it all went together as planned. I had contingency plans
for eliminating some tennons if necessary.

Questions?

Attached Thumbnails
Personal bedroom project-dscf0002-large-jpg  Personal bedroom project-dscf0003-large-jpg  Personal bedroom project-dscf0004-large-jpg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bedroom Furniture4.skp.pdf (262.7 KB, 80 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

A couple of other points, the openings on the middle on one side of each
tower will face the bed. the idea is to hide from view the clock radio,
magazines, books, etc that normally clutter the bed side tables. ;!)

Also noticed the attached PDF file of the concept.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 09:51:07 -0500, "Leon"

Very Nice! Have you thought about pulls for the doors and drawers?
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

news
wrote:

Very Nice! Have you thought about pulls for the doors and drawers?

Pulls for the drawers yes, see attached DPF and zoom in. the handles will
be oak and cherry, the front cherry piece will be curved.

For the doors? Not yet. The munton door will basically be a false door
and will probably be latched from inside.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf handle.pdf (109.4 KB, 62 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

thosLeon wrote:
A couple of other points, the openings on the middle on one side of each
tower will face the bed. the idea is to hide from view the clock radio,
magazines, books, etc that normally clutter the bed side tables. ;!)

Also noticed the attached PDF file of the concept.

Those will be stellar Leon. Can't wait to see the bed too, and
everything in place.

I hope the room in the drawing is undersized though - it looks awfully
crowded in there!

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Kevin Miller" wrote in message
news
thosLeon wrote:
A couple of other points, the openings on the middle on one side of each
tower will face the bed. the idea is to hide from view the clock radio,
magazines, books, etc that normally clutter the bed side tables. ;!)

Also noticed the attached PDF file of the concept.

Those will be stellar Leon. Can't wait to see the bed too, and everything
in place.

I hope the room in the drawing is undersized though - it looks awfully
crowded in there!

Thank you Kevin.

Unfortunately the room is small. There I said it. LOL. My wife and I
bought this house after only seeing the blue prints and it was going to be
our starter home, 29 years ago. 16 years later it was paid for and I had
remodeled and doubled the size of the kitchen. It's hard to consider making
house payments again after not making any for the last 12 years. Still we
think that one day we will move into a bigger home. Unfortunately larger
homes do not have the storage that this very modest sized house has.
Anyway, the bed will not be much larger than the present one and the towers
have about the same foot print. Our house does however have 10' ceilings
and I like to utilize that unused space.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Leon wrote:
Unfortunately the room is small. There I said it. LOL. My wife and I
bought this house after only seeing the blue prints and it was going to be
our starter home, 29 years ago. 16 years later it was paid for and I had
remodeled and doubled the size of the kitchen. It's hard to consider making
house payments again after not making any for the last 12 years. Still we

Well, I'd rather have a small bedroom and big wallet any day, so more
power to you. Wish my place was paid off! Will you use these as the
main dressers too? If you don't have much else in there, the size isn't
that big of thing. All you need is a clear path to the 'throne room' at
0:dark-thirty!

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
In a recent poll, seven out of ten hard drives preferred Linux.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Leon:
I have only one word. WOW!!!
It looks beautiful. Might not be exactly my style, but close enough to
take my hat off to you!!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 14:00:02 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

remodeled and doubled the size of the kitchen. It's hard to consider making
house payments again after not making any for the last 12 years.

Putting your money into home improvement woodworking projects instead
of a mortgage sounds a lot more enjoyable to me. You've got some
woodworking talent there and I expect many of your woodworking
projects will be appreciated family heirlooms for generations to come.
You can't ask for much more than that. Good on you!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thank you John.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Han" wrote in message
Leon:
I have only one word. WOW!!!

That was my reaction when all 8 panels mated with all 8 shelves. LOL

It looks beautiful. Might not be exactly my style, but close enough to
take my hat off to you!!

Thank you sir!

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Leon wrote:

I have decided to redo all of our bedroom furniture and my wife and I
decided to go with the Arts & Crafts look. I got the design idea from a
bed I saw at an Amish furniture store and basically designed the furniture
around that bed design. I will eventually be building the bed and
adding
drawers on the bottom and building a larger taller dresser. The tower
cabinets pictured will have a light bridge of some sort added.

Very nice. Ambitious project Leon.

.... snip

[...]

No questions; that's a lot of pieces. Good luck, be sure to post pictures
as you progress through the whole project.

Rob Leatham
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
m...

Very nice. Ambitious project Leon.

Thank you.

snip

Questions?

No questions; that's a lot of pieces. Good luck, be sure to post
pictures
as you progress through the whole project.

I'll do that.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Drawer handles, oak with cherry fronts and a handle setting on a drawer
waithing for the finish to dry. I made too many for the monent but wish I
had made about 10 more for the rest of the project.

I printed 10 templates from Sketchup, cut them out, and glued them on to
the blanks. Then sanded down to the curve on the template with a 12" disk
sander and finally finish sanded with a ROS held upside down with me holding
both the sander and cherry handle blank.

Attached Thumbnails
Personal bedroom project-dscf0001-large-jpg  Personal bedroom project-dscf0002-large-jpg

Bedroom Project Leon[_6_] Woodworking 7 October 9th 09 09:06 PM
what makes a bedroom a bedroom? cmay Home Ownership 9 March 23rd 06 11:06 PM
Mid two story, two bedroom terrace. What are the main requirements for converting attic to 3rd bedroom? Tez UK diy 7 March 6th 06 11:31 AM
I have a small personal project I need to hire.. Craig Stadler Electronics 0 June 3rd 05 01:41 AM
My personal review Leon Woodworking 25 July 16th 03 11:26 PM