Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default fluorescent tube and starter question

In article ,
Stephen writes:
On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 11:17:41 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Tube flashing continually means the starter is working.
This would normally indicate the tube has failed (particularly
if one end of the tube has dark internal shadow and/or one end
glows white and the other end orange). However, fitting the
wrong starter for the tube can also cause the starter to keep
trying to start a tube which is already started, so wrong value
starter is another possibility.

As an update, I think I may need a new tube. I checked the old starter
and it was the 125W required for an 8' tube, so it was rated
correctly.

Are 8' tubes getting rarer? Everyone seems to sell the starters for
smaller tubes but I found it difficult to get a 125W one locally. I

They are mostly only used commercially - there's no
domestic market for them, so you may need to go to an
electrical wholesaler. 125W tubes have pretty much been
replaced with 100W tubes nowadays, and you can use them
with the 125W ballast in the fitting (they're designed to
retrofit).

did eventually get one but with the new starter fitted, the tube
flashes continually without striking, which as you've said above,
suggests the tube has gone.

It's strange as I thought the tubes usually darkened at the ends
before failing but this one does not seem discoloured. I do not know
how old the tube is but the fitting is ancient. Before I go looking
for a new tube is there anything important inside the fitting or are

Nothing else.

the starter and the tube all that there is? Is it worth renewing the
whole thing or just the tube?

I think you might struggle to find a new 8' fitting nowadays.
The T5 and T8 tubes are used in new commercial fittings today,
and none are made 8' long (in Europe anyway; there is an 8' T8
in the US). There are still lots of commercial 8' installations
in the UK though, and they'll be around until the EU bans the
tubes.

--
Andrew Gabriel