Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default fluorescent tube and starter question

On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 10:33:25 +0100, Stephen wrote:

Hello,

There's an 8' tube in the garage and when it is switched on it takes a
long time (tens of seconds) before the light comes on.

I thought that when tubes failed they blinked several times before
lighting. With this there is no flashing just darkness, darkness,
darkness, light.

The tube and starter have been here longer than we have, so that's at
least four years.

Do I need a new tube or starter or both?

Thanks.

Managed to revive a tube by twisting it in its contacts a few times and did
the same with the starter. That was in a kitchen, so moisture and other
nasties had probably deposited clag everywhere.
In a garage, just some corrosion is more likely.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.