Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen[_6_] Stephen[_6_] is offline

Default fluorescent tube and starter question

On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 11:03:59 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

8' tubes can be hard to start in the cold, but I don't think it's
got that cold yet. Given the tube does start eventually, and assuming
it doesn't have darkened (worn) tube ends, my money would be on the
starter having drifted out of spec, but it could still be either.
(The working spec for 8' starters is might tighter than for other tubes.)
It may well be that the electronic (fluoractor-based) starters such
as a Pulsestarter EFS 600 will work better with long tubes; I haven't
tried one on an 8' tube, but it claims it should work.

Secondly, are you sure it has a starter?

Thanks for the fast replies.

I have swapped the starters in the other (smaller) tubes around the
house to electronic ones but never got around to touching the one in
the garage.

It does have a starter, I can see it behind the tube. It has always
had a delayed start, even in the summer, so I am sure it's not the
cold.

I'll buy a new starter and see what happens; at least that will be
cheaper than a new tube.

Thanks again.