Posted to alt.home.repair
zzznot zzznot is offline

Default Smoke detectors for the elderly

"Robert Green" wrote in message
It's amusing, in a sad sort of way, that it's so hard to find some simple
information. I downloaded the PDF but couldn't find any specs for the
sound frequency.

If it does voice, I'm going to assume it handles at least
the classic telephonic range of about 300hz to 3000hz, plus
or minus a couple of db.

It's a battery only device with a door that swings out so that battery
replacement doesn't required dismounting the unit from the ceiling.

Good. Wall mount also OK, I assume. Thanks.

Practice using the door before mounting it because it takes a unique sort
of pulling motion and I had to dismount it to make sure I wasn't going to
break it off. I thought it pulled out like a drawer but it swings out
like an orange wedge on a single pivot.

The Kidde model I bought in part because it has a front-mounted
door for the battery. Guess what - you have to take it off and
fiddle a "lock" on the back, before you can use the front door!

Who designs these things, anyway??!??

Josh