Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Smoke detectors for the elderly

"Lee B" wrote in message

stuff snipped

I've followed some of this thread, and got curious and went googling for
"smoke alarm" and "low frequency" together. I found this site -
http://darrowproducts.com/index.html . I think their alarm was mentioned
elsewhere in the thread, but two points on their own site that might
help: one of the models is $159 with a $39 instant rebate and free
shipping. (Of course, they may have changed that and not updated the
page, who knows). That's the lowest price models; others are more.

The site also had another interesting angle - their section on veterans
says "Attention, U.S. Veterans, you may qualify to receive a Loudenlow™
Hearing Impaired smoke alarm for free via your local Veterans Affairs
office".

Good luck. And good for you for watching out for your friend!

Thanks. I looked into that, along with calling both my firehouse and his
(they just closed it a month ago, so they were not of much help!) to see
what programs were available. The DoD reimbursement had to be done their
way, which meant maybe waiting 6 weeks or more for the unit because they
have to approve it first. I didn't feel comfortable waiting, nor do I like
to spend a lot more for stuff just because it's got a "medical" label on it.
Thank god the FirstAlert unit does the trick and for even less than the
reimbursed price of one of the speciality units. That means I can get more
of them to spread around the house.

--
Bobby G.