Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Smoke detectors for the elderly

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
stuff snipped

If someone is hard of hearing and has a house with hardwired 120VAC
smokes, I would highly recommend looking into replacing the smokes with
the ones with ADA strobes. Off the top of my head I think the current
Gentex model is 7309, but there's different versions with and without
relay contacts and for wall and ceiling mount. Not cheap, but if you've
already demonstrated that the existing detectors aren't notifying the
occupant...

Nate, thanks for the info. His is an older house with battery smokes. I
got him a very bright phone flasher last year so that the phone would wake
him in emergencies, but he just doesn't wake up to flashing lights. I've
come to find out that the success rate of flashing lights is about 25%.
Since he's got high frequency hearing loss, the best option seems to be the
low frequency alarm I just bought. Whether it wakes him from sleep, we've
yet to discover but at least he can actually hear this unit in the test
mode. The ones with the high pitched sonalerts are completely inaudible to
him although they are so loud they hurt my ears.

--
Bobby G.