Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Smoke detectors for the elderly

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 21:38:10 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

So, problem solved!!! I only bought the one, for a little over $40 with
tax, but it also includes a CO monitor so mentally, it fits what *I* think a
good smoke detector should cost: $20 each. I don't give it high marks for
intelligibility, though. When it goes off, it's the tone, a little silence,
and then a man mumbling in an urgent tone. "Warning . . . Warning . . . mo
. . ected . . . in . . . ing . . . room." The alarm tells you which room
the alert is coming from and what the danger is (smoke or CO), which I think
is mostly a gimmick but may prove useful.

You should have five fires and five CO emergencies, to evaluate this
aspect of the detector. A hundred would be better, but I'll settle for
10. I'm glad you found what you wanted and that you posted it.

. It's got a feature that
allows silencing or testing via any household IR remote and the unit has
triggered twice accidentally as a result of a reflected IR beam.

LOL