Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Smoke detectors for the elderly

wrote in message
stuff snipped
I have slept through smoke alarm when it awoke everyone else in the
house.

I have too, yet, oddly enough I am the one that always wakes up to the once
a minute chirp of a low battery signal. I think a lot depends on what stage
sleep you're in when the alarm sounds. I say that because I can remember my
dreams actually relating to an alarm sound that woke me up, as if the
sub-conscience is hearing the alarm while you're dreaming and then "edits"
your dream to include a loud siren.

That alarm used to sound the first time or two that the furnace
came on in the fall - accumulated dust burning? No smoke detectable to

us.

Yeah, all sorts of crap lands on the A-coil when it's wet and by the time
you start running really hot air over it from the furnace on the first cold
day it starts a stinkin'. I live across the street from a firehouse and the
first really cold night will have maybe 10 alarms running for smoke smell
calls.

When my kids were young teens, they used to have their radio on very
softly at night, tuned to pop music station. There was a very popular
song at the time that had a background sound that sounded like "maaaaa";
I normally could barely tell the radio was on in their room, but I would
wake at night when that song played. My subconcious thought my children
were calling me )

Pretty funny. My mother had a similar, though less positive reaction to a
song by the Doors called "The End" where Morrison sings: "Father, I want to
kill you, Mother, I want to . . ." which on my recording, at least, was
unintelligible, but was really:

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=231

she asked me "Bobby, what is he saying?" "I dunno Ma, he's just howling."
(-:

--
Bobby G.