Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Smoke detectors for the elderly

"Mark" wrote in message news:ZsPxm.18775
stuff snipped
Our local tv station did a story a few years ago about small children not
waking to the loud hi-pitched alarms. They even did a test and showed
several small kids sleeping right thru an alarm right in their rooms.

They
showed one that actually had a recorded voice of the child's mom yelling

for
them to get up and get out of the house and kids seemed to hear and

respond
to that. Here's a story on 'talking smoke detectors':

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/ara_talkingsmokealar

You can get more with a Google on 'talking smoke detectors'.

Yes, thanks. It's this search that ironically led me to the detector I was
seeking. A low pitched alarm that does both CO and smoke for under $40 and
that runs on batteries.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

--
Bobby G.